Thursday, March 10, 2011

That 70's Chair

After a wonderfully amazing weekend at a youth worker's conference in Chicago with 3000 other crazy people, tim and I decided we really need a night of pure, unabashed retail therapy...at Goodwill.

Yes, the Goodwill you donate your old toasters and ugly Christmas sweaters to. :)

We went to the store nearest our home where there was nothin' good to be seen...until we went over to the furniture side. There I saw, sat and briefly noted a chair and then dismissed the idea of it. I couldn't find the price tag and since I was pretty sure that didn't mean the chair was free (always a faint hope, right?), I passed and we went on to the next store.

Tim was incredibly upset to find the most deliciously soft, supple Italian leather shoe.
One.
One shoe.
Either someone donated only one or perhaps a one legged man bought the other shoe. He moped about for a few minutes until I found a milk glass coffee mug for $.48 and his faith in a good bargain was restored.

While we're leaving the store, I suddenly blurt out that we've got to go back to the first store for that chair.

Tim does a double take because he doesn't remember any chair at all, but he dutifully drives us back to the first store while I'm trying to describe the exact color of this chair, how comfortable it is and that I have the perfect place for it.

We get to store where I excitedly lead him to the chair.

"Oh" he says. Not "Oh!" as in cool. Not "Oh" as in wicked awesome. But "Oh" as in "Didn't the 70's do enough damage to our young, impressionable psyches?"
I tell him to sit in it.

"Oh" he says. as in "Oh, thank you Lord for creating an instantly amazing place to snooze, read a novel or watch a game." And in the wink of an eye, we were loading this much too large chair into his much too small trunk and driving home with flashing lights all the way. (when I get really happy, I either chatter away or fall completely silent. this was totally a chatter away ride home. Tim probably wanted to put me in the trunk and let the chair ride up front.)
It does have great lines. And I like the green, just so you know. I think I'll paint the feet black, but for now, I think I'll take a snooze in my new 70's chair. :)

6 comments:

Gennifer said...

Love it! :)

Little Pink Studio said...

Great chair!
My daughter has found some wonderful 70's furniture for her dorm in thrift shops. The most recent, a total Grandpa chair...and it rocks! She says she is constantly having to move people out of her chair. :) (and it was only $30...or something like that)
xo,Cerri

Jana said...

Love the chair. It's my HAPPY color. Black feet will look awesome. Congrats.

Tanya said...

I love it and I'm looking for something just like it to go with my black and white sofas.

Rosemary said...

LOL - oh my gosh, you brought a big smile to my face with this post. I like the chair, the green is totally a YOU color and it looks pretty cool! I love a chatty Casii!

Anonymous said...

you are amazing. can't wait to see it! :)
-ames