Friday, February 22, 2008

Craftiness Revisited

Now that my older daughter has come back from her Chrysalis weekend, I can reveal some of the surprises I made for her and her friends. (Cause my daddy likes to see this stuff even though he never leaves me a comment! It's like not signing my yearbook, Da!) Chrysalis is a youth retreat and for the teens, it's a bit like being invited to a huge surprise party thrown just for them. Wouldn't we all love that? Chrysalis is called so because in theory, the teens arrive as 'caterpillars', change ('Chrysalis') over the weekend and when the weekend is over they are encouraged to Fly with Christ.

Two of her good friends also went, so I made them a little somethin', somethin' too. I know I probably picked up The Crud while on a surprise errand there, but it was worth it to see her face so lit up with joy. Even though she's been sick too, she can't stop talking about her time on the weekend and how she can't wait to get more friends to go.

One of the little traditions is personalized place mats for meals. Usually some of the retreat team members make some, a friend or teacher might make one and the family makes a couple. Just one of the details over the weekend that lets them continuously know they are loved. I had these laminated so they'll last for a while.

Another small surprise I made for her was an altered canvas. She's already put it on her bedroom wall which means it passed muster.

I also made some more simple canvases for her friends as little presents. She also got a little handmade ring from me, but I didn't get the chance to photograph that and some other little surprises that shall remain a secret lest some of her friends stumble upon these photos. Don't want to let any big stuff be spoiled!




9 comments:

Amy said...

wow...all of these projects are just beautiful and what a wonderful experience for your daughter and her friends!

dianna said...

How pretty*!*

I remember going on those kinds of retreats in middle/high school...times I will never forget~
SO important at that age too!

Anonymous said...

Hope y'all are feeling a better! Your projects all turned out so pretty!

Manuela

Unknown said...

Wow you have been busy .. great job with everything :)

Jessica Lynn

j said...

Casii, WOW! First of CONGRATUALTIONS on having a daughter with faith in Christ! WOW! WOW! WOW! on that. Ok, second of all WOW on your art work. And here I am posting a picture of doodling on my site today. (blowing air through my lips and strumming with my finger - not a big girl crafter, just a baby! Whos's the big girl crafter wannabe? Who's the big girl? woodja woodja woo!!). I am very impressed! You also have a heart of gold, my friend! Jennifer

Back Through Time said...

Your projects are wonderful!! Can't wait to see more!!
Hope you are having a relaxing day!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

I love what you made and I love that she appreciated them. :-)

j said...

Hey friend Casii, I have a link on my site that gives updates on Erin, the 14 yr old. She still stands in need of prayer. See you soon - Jen

j said...

Hey Casii (looks like I have been here before!) Kari is back and she is SCRAPBBOKING! Didn't you used to read her too? Later Tater - Jen