Friday, February 13, 2009

Yes, I'm a spoiled brat. And I love it!

We did our Valentine celebrating early this year. Last weekend, I got a little card left on my mirror inviting me to join my hubby for this: It was like watching a cross between the Muppets and an acid trip (not that I'd know what that's like. my biggest flashy drug moments have been with migraine meds) with, um, full puppet nudity. While I wanted to cover the ears of the little girl sitting two rows ahead of us, I loved it! And it was even better for going with some good friends of ours. All the way home, we were singing what we could remember of the songs which pretty much breaks down into~It sucks to be me, it sucks to be you, we're all a little bit racist (told you it was wild).

And I'm still blown away by the generosity of my swap partner from a Year of Color. Lisa blew me away with her generosity. She totally pegged me and my style with the goodies she put in my package. And the collage she created is stunning.

I've already put the little sewing case to good use. I'm in love with it's creamy white and aqua lines. Perfection! And I'm afraid to use the vintage seam binding. It's so lovely to look at in the crinkly old packaging. (but I will use it, seam binding is probably in my top 5 of art supplies) I saved my own hubby's Valentine card for last. His office is right next to my little studio and while he usually keeps his door shut, he travels through my area quite a bit. I have to be somewhat sneaky to make anything for him. Usually the best plan of action is to work in stages, so as to create befuddlement and confusion. Oh, heck, who am I kidding? He probably only gives a casual glance to whatever I'm doing unless I specifically call it to his attention. Still, I like to imagine myself creating something lovely under the cover of secret operatives....

To handily throw him off the trail, I reached into my darkest drawer to pull out the base of my creation, a brown paper bag. Then I subjected it to the rigors of the sewing machine, some handcut felt, old sheet music and whatnot (that's an official supply from now on) to make his card. And to adhere to my 'use it up' philosophy for the season, all of the whatnot is current stash, but if McGuyver can fashion a laser beam to burn through a door with a ball point pen and some used Doublemint gum (um, ewwwwww!), I can make a card dagnabbit. And I added some of that vintage seam binding as a closure later. So what if I need a few more supplies than McGuyver?


11 comments:

Becky Bunn said...

Great goodies you received. I like the card for hubby. Happy Valentine's day

Sherri said...

Great goodies and I am in LOVE with your hubby.....'s card! LOL
AWESOME card!!!

Anna Willett said...

casii! i loooooove the valentine. and i have been wondering about avenue q. sounds good. hugs

Tanya said...

Your hubby's card turned out just adorable!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Was that play a "dramedy"? Haha! I might have had to cover my ears too!

Kelly said...

Love Tim's card - very cool. Thanks for your sweet blog comments, friend. Can we play soon?

Danielle said...

Puppet nudity?? What's that, a naked hand?? hehehe

Happy Valentines, chica

Danielle

Back Through Time said...

I love all your goodies and you did a fab job on your hubby's card!
Happy Valentine's Day~
Michelle
btw~being a spoiled brat isn't THAT bad, lol

Anonymous said...

Love your card! It's really cute. Of course the teal and red are my favorite parts :)

Chedder Fish said...

Hello! I'm Liz/Chedderfish from the Pretty Class. Here's the flickr group Elsie posted for us to share in - http://www.flickr.com/groups/583188@N23/

Also I'm in MD too! ;)

milkcan said...

Avenue Q is one of my all time favorite musicals! Glad you enjoyed it too!