Thursday, June 11, 2009

If my studio had a door, I'd lock myself in, bwahaha

Because I really enjoy the creative therapy of pulling out pretty little embellishments, doodling sketches in my idea book, flipping through stacks of old photos and fondling the paper (oh yes, as in skin to paper contact).

After a couple of high drama weeks in our lives (but not my daughter's graduation. That was a complete and glorious time of celebration!), I needed the time. Desperately. In fact, my mind & spirit still needs time, but they're going to have to take a rain check.

First, I checked out Opus Gluei
's latest challenge which is Sand and Shells. I'm doubly glad they've had a run of challenges which work so well with vacation photos because 1)it gets me off my duff about documenting the trip and 2)I'm loving flipping through the photos with the kids while we are all dying to get back to somewhere tropical. This layout is of my hottie DH who was hamming it up for the camera in front of a waterfall. He didn't think I was really taking photos, but how could I resist snapping away while he continued to strike poses much to the mortification of his daughters?
While I'm talking about the DH, we had a text discussion about Father's Day cards and he jokingly requested a 'pink one'. Never kid a kidder darling. Especially one who loves pink! This is what he's getting (snicker, snicker):
Lots of Heidi Swapp, Teresa Collins, K&Co, MM, old Imagination Project and vintage dyed seam binding. Broke out the Silver Leafing pen too; I need about 6 more of those to fill my shiny quota.
For my Daddy and Papa though, I didn't think they'd quite appreciate pink in the same way my DH (who is totally comfortable with his feminine side, i.e. Me) would, so I went manly man for their cards. I got to break out some old school techniques with Ranger Distress Inks, a water sprayer and an iron, plus play with Glimmer Mist and tools from Tattered Angels. The Club Scrap electrical tape is still a favorite of mine not only for embellishing, but for binding books.

I'm also sending on this Thank You note to friends who showed DH and I the greatest measure of grace and continue to love us during a rough time. Good friends are worth their weight in gold, but these folks are among the best of the best! I find myself more and more drawn to sunny, cheerful orange tones. Don't think I'll be brave enough to splash it on a wall anytime soon, but the small doses in projects are perfect.

5 comments:

PCovi said...

Wow!!! Those guys are spoiled! Tell them I said those cards would have a high dollar on them if you had to pay for them...
I forgot to say how I love the old movie pics below!!!

Tangy Soccer Mom said...

Hey! I recognize that Thank You card! me and the Missus are just as blessed to have you and the DH in our lives as well.

Rosemary said...

Love your O-G submission - that layout just looks fun and playful!

had to laugh at the rest of your entry - yep, he shouldn't have kidded the kidder. Still, the card is very cool (and i love pink).

j said...

I have been enjoying a little paper to skin contact lately too. It really does help!

My kids are making their Dad layouts that I will frame in red scrapbooking frames. My eight year old son has finished his and it is pretty cute!

Back Through Time said...

No door??? Are you crazy?? LOL love all your creations, you are one talented chick!
Michelle