Thursday, October 22, 2009

Baby Boo

Fall is usually my favorite season, but I haven't been able to throw my energy into it this year. The kids have noticed the distinct lack of Halloween decor & kind of freaked. Did this mean there wasn't going to be any Halloween themed sugar product in the house? What horrors!
So I spent a couple of hours making them a card...
Plain white cardstock, ancient Creative Memories circle cutting system, old Hero Arts stamps (one a Christmas stamp), Distress Inks, embossing powders, old paper, a bit of free hand cutting and the use of an embossing gun to 'burn' the edges of the skull. Not exactly frightful, but he's got a little bit of personality, eh?
Then, I have a couple of fellow Fright Loving Fiends, er, I mean, Friends, who are really into the holiday, so I had to make them something right ?
This card didn't take nearly as long, but I think it is a great deal more macabre than Mr. Skully Card. When hubby and I went to Paris, one of the places we visited was the Paris Catacombs where the remains from several Paris cemeteries were moved, 'artfully' arranged and are now a tourist attraction. The remains of several famous people of the French Revolution are stored in the Catacombs, including, Robespierre and possibly Marie Antoinette.Simple yes, but freaky fun. I used Sepia Glossy Accents to highlight the skulls and brown crackle paint around the edges to convey the dark, dank atmosphere of the catacombs. The glossy accents really make the skulls pop out of the photo.

Hubby and I were recently able to take in a little spirited fun. A couple of weeks ago, we went to an early showing of the movie, Paranormal Activity. I like to be on the edge of my seat for a good scary movie, but not slasher films. This is right up there in my top 3 Fright Flicks ever now. The others being The Changeling with George C. Scott and a toss up between The Ring or The Descent. Check out the trailer for Paranormal here: Paranormal Activity

Go see it and then lose some sleep like I did when hubby went out of town for a few days. You'd never imagine how many things so bump in the night when you're lying wide awake at 2:30 a.m. Bwahahahahaha....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Lots of spooky fun, Casii! ((hugs))

Unknown said...

Yay, I found someone else who thinks The Changeling is the spookiest movie! I haven't seen it in years but it still creeps me out. We watched it a ton when I was in high school and I swear it was scary every time. We used to freak each other out by saying "Joooseeephh..." in a quiet, reedy voice. :)

We also visited the catacombs in Paris. Freaky. I still remember how it smelled in there. Ick!

Rosemary said...

I love the cards you made for the kids, the one with the catacombs pic is appropriately creepy!

Scary movies freak me out too much nowadays, so Paranormal Activity is going to be something I just hear other people being scared by.

Hope all is well, have missed you very much!

j said...

Casii, your talents amaze me. I wish that I were able to create like you. I just don't have the eye for it. Everything I attempt comes out... not like yours :)

I have a morbid curiosity about Paranormal Activity. I know I can't handle that movie but I'm SO curious.

It was very VERY nice to hear from you. Praying a blessing over you this evening.

j said...

BTW... I subscribed to your blog through Google Reader. I tend to do a better job keeping up with blogbuds that way.

Jana said...

I love your homemade skulls. So very clever of you. And the pic of the catacomb is downright creepy. I love it. I thought it was some sort of raised paper or plastic. The glaze really does make those skulls pop. I can't do scary movies. I am a BIG CHICKEN. Right down to the stripe of yellow feathers running down my back.