Thursday, January 6, 2011

Return to the Roots

Long, long ago, a friend tricked me into scrapbooking by asking me to host a Creative Memories party to help her launch her new business. LOL Little did I know that as I was cutting wedding photos into star shapes and smattering them with sticker sneezes that I would become so hooked.

But I was.

It was a tether back to the creative little girl that I had been; who had been choked by the weeds of life, the real world and the admonition to 'grow up'. (as I type this I can't help but think of the John Candy movie, 'Uncle Buck' where he tells off the principal who wants him to crush the spirit of his imaginative niece, what a hilarious and sweet moment that was. Look it up!)

To all those who think scrapbooking is something soccer moms do in their myriad hours of spare time, I'm sorry you feel so negatively. I've met incredibly talented women (and men!) with rich, full lives who pour their creative spirit into documenting a life well-lived. Some are married, some are single. Some have 10 children, others have no children. Some are doctors and others are stay at home parents. ALL are valuable.
And yet, as much as I enjoy it and continue to invest in new product and/or tools, I hadn't scrapbooked at all in quite some time. I made a lot of art that I had a great time creating, but I'd gotten away from the heart of what got me back to creating in the first place: scrapbooking.

So, while others dressed up to go out and party on NYE, I pulled on some yoga pants, brewed some hot coffee and went to the studio to play.

And I loved it.
What I did isn't elaborate or newsworthy, but it was nourishing and renewing and most of all, it made my 2 oldest feel treasured because they are the subject of my time and effort. They laugh and weakly attempt to hide it from their friends, but then they pull all the old scrapbooks out and spend hours looking through their own lives. Lives well lived. (forgive the cropping of the photos. I'm still trying to figure out my new camera and its photo editing software!)

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

Oh, I just wanna hug you - I LOVE Uncle Buck and we all need to get back to being sillyhearts! Let's try to support each other to find those parts of ourselves again!

I am sooooo happy you indulged yourself and scrapbooked! The layouts are special - they're of your children!

So happy that you took the time and shared with us at Opus Gluei!!

j said...

Casii, I haven't scrapbooked in over a year! I need to get back at it before I forget how.

Your pages look wonderful!

Jana said...

Your pages are beautiful. I was tricked into it too. Hmmm. Guess that makes us optimists. Making the best of it. LOL Thanks for playing with us at OPUS GLUEI. It's always an honor to see your projects pop up over there.