Sunday, November 30, 2008

Journaling the Season


For the past few years, I've read and viewed with envy the phenomenon that is Shimelle's "Journal Your Christmas" class on scores of other blogs. With a season that promises to be busier than ever this year, I've decided that perhaps making the commitment to quiet, to live in the Christmas moment, for at least a few minutes each day this season is in order.

Journal Your Christmas

My hope is that I will rediscover the value and meaning behind what my family does during this season of wonder, to recapture the wonder and to wind down the hysteria that fills every retail establishment with dread. Meaning? Why, if some moments drive me to stress eating, do I continue to repeat the same patterns every year?


I know one thing. Many of the small, endless tasks that befall me DO mean something to my children. We just arrived home this evening from a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday at my sister's home in Michigan when my children realized that our Advent calendar isn't out yet. They are in a panic. What will they do if they cannot probe the tiny pocket for their traditional chocolate mint that signals the countdown to the magic hour?


As soon as I post this, I'll be pulling down the attic stairs to bring the Advent calendar down to its rightful place in the first of many small Christmas traditions that will, hopefully, be journaled about this month during Shimelle's class.

3 comments:

j said...

You are SO right about the stress eating thing. Also, it's like my bod got a taste of the Thanksgiving goodies and it wants MORE. Going to buckle down tomorrow.

Hope the Christmas season goes well for you.

dianna said...

I always SAY I'm going to journal my Christmas season...Your journal is beautiful.

I've got to get my Advent calendar down too~YIKES*!*

Anonymous said...

It really is those little things, isn't it? I know (now, as an adult and a mom) that my mother must have had a heck of a time keeping up with three children and making all that Christmas magic at the same time, what with decorating, crafting, present buying making and wrapping, baking, etc. But it is all those little things that I remember, that I wanted to emulate in my own Christmases now that I have children. So here's hoping the 15 minute present I give myself each day refuels me for all that crazy activity :)